When it comes to running business analytics, there are three key non-functional requirements that must be met: fast performance, usability and affordability. Bloor Research was asked by IBM to compare the performance capabilities of the leading business analytic platforms. Specifically, we were asked to evaluate how the combined capabilities of business analytic tools and the underlying database management system can affect the overall performance of your analytic applications, reports and dashboards.
For this paper, we took a look at four solutions:
- IBM Cognos running on DB2 with BLU Acceleration
- SAP Business Objects running on SAP HANA
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) running on Oracle Exadata
- Microsoft Business Intelligence running on Microsoft SQL Server 2012.
To simplify the discussion, we split this paper into two sections:
- A comparison of the business analytics tools, including any unique capabilities they deliver by integrating with the underlying database management system
- A comparison of database management systems.