Focus Area: Data Management
Philip started in the computer industry way back in 1973 and has variously worked as a systems analyst, programmer and salesperson, as well as in marketing and product management, for a variety of companies including GEC Marconi, GPT, Philips Data Systems, Raytheon and NCR.
After a quarter of a century of not being his own boss Philip set up his own company in 1992 and his first client was Bloor Research (then ButlerBloor), with Philip working for the company as an associate analyst. His relationship with Bloor Research has continued since that time and he is now Research Director focused on Data Management.
Data management refers to the management, movement, governance and storage of data and involves diverse technologies that include (but are not limited to) databases and data warehousing, data integration (including ETL, data migration and data federation), data quality, master data management, metadata management and log and event management. Philip also tracks spreadsheet management and complex event processing.
In addition to the numerous reports Philip has written on behalf of Bloor Research, Philip also contributes regularly to IT-Director.com and IT-Analysis.com and was previously editor of both "Application Development News" and "Operating System News" on behalf of Cambridge Market Intelligence (CMI). He has also contributed to various magazines and written a number of reports published by companies such as CMI and The Financial Times. Philip speaks regularly at conferences and other events throughout Europe and North America.
Away from work, Philip's primary leisure activities are canal boats, skiing, playing Bridge (at which he is a Life Master), dining out and walking Benji the dog.
Research papers include:
- 22 May, 2013 - Exploiting the Internet of Things with investigative analytics
- 22 April, 2013 - Lower your risk with application data migration - next steps with Informatica
- 03 April, 2013 - Financial Intelligence and Business Reporting - in JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and World Environments
- 14 March, 2013 - Denodo Platform 5.0
- 12 March, 2013 - Safyr
- 06 February, 2013 - Database performance management - the importance of time-based analysis
- 03 October, 2012 - Data Masking
- 01 October, 2012 - Service Virtualisation
- 30 August, 2012 - Data profiling: the business case
- 25 July, 2012 - Analytics in Telecommunications
Recent articles and blog postings:
Contact Philip Howard
Please use this contact form or the briefing request form.