Focus Area: Security
Fran Howarth specialises in the field of security, primarily information security, but with a keen interest in physical security and how the two are converging. Fran’s other main areas of interest are new delivery models, such as cloud computing, information governance, web, network and application security, identity and access management, and encryption.
Fran focuses on the business needs for security technologies, looking at the benefits they gain from their use and how organisations can defend themselves against the threats that they face in an ever-changing landscape.
For more than 20 years, Fran has worked in an advisory capacity as an analyst, consultant and writer. She writes regularly for a number of publications, including Silicon, Computer Weekly, Computer Reseller News, IT-Analysis and Computing Magazine. Fran is also a regular contributor to Security Management Practices of the Faulkner Information Services division of InfoToday.
Research papers include:
- 20 April, 2013 - FireMon Security Manager Platform
- 26 March, 2013 - Identity management services - bringing external services into the mix
- 11 March, 2013 - Getting ahead in the cloud - ...the need for better identity and access controls
- 12 February, 2013 - Key considerations for security intelligence in big data - what a CISO needs to know
- 12 February, 2013 - Harnessing big data for security - what are the key considerations and capabilities?
- 11 December, 2012 - The value of big data in security - leveraging big data for intelligence-led security
- 07 November, 2012 - Enhancing security through a trust-based approach - advanced threats require advanced weapons
- 06 September, 2012 - Challenges and opportunities in the telecommunications sector
- 30 August, 2012 - Security based on trust not fear - ...the importance of a trusted cloud and Internet ecosystem
- 23 April, 2012 - Unifying electronic communications for enhanced security - use advanced controls against sophisticated, blended threats
Recent articles and blog postings:
Contact Fran Howarth
Please use this contact form or the briefing request form.